This is a unique opportunity for four artists at any stage of their careers to stage a solo show in an intriguing, unusual, or hidden venue as part of Islington Exhibits 2012 (www.islingtonexhibits.com). Artists will be selected by a panel consisting of Daniel Baker (Education Director, Cubitt, Fiona Parry (Curator, Cubitt, Jeremy Deller (Artist) and Ruth Robinson (Director, Rowan Arts).
Each Artist Award comprises:
– A £500 budget to cover the costs of the exhibition / artist’s fee.
– Mentoring from Fiona Parry, experienced curator and current Curatorial Bursary holder at Cubitt Gallery
– Support from Rowan Arts and the other Islington Exhibits partners to secure a venue and promote the project
About Islington Exhibits
Islington Exhibits is an annual initiative to unlock hidden venues in Islington and give artists and crafts persons a space to display their work.
It is produced by charity Rowan Arts in partnership with Cubitt, Holloway Neighbourhood Group, Islington Arts Factory and St. Luke's Community Centre – for more information visit www.islingtonexhibits.com
Islington Exhibits takes place 19-29 July 2012: the exhibitions must be open during this time and a programme of walks and talks will be organised, in which the selected artists will be encouraged to participate.
How to apply
Applications should include the following:
1. A single Word document, containing:
• A proposal as to how you would approach your exhibition (max. 400 words): i.e. what work would you show, how would you show it, and why?
• A CV and artist’s statement, including previous relevant experience, contact details and any connection to Islington, if you have one (work, studio, a local residency). Please note that you do not need a connection to Islington. (max. one A4 page in total)
2. Examples of your practice and, if relevant, works that you might show, in one of the following formats:
• A maximum of 8 JPEG images (standalone images: not a powerpoint or other presentation)
• A film or showreel playable in a standard DVD player or though Quicktime (max. 9 minutes – longer works may be represented by shorter excerpts)
• A maximum of 3 audio files in Mp3 format (max. 3 minutes each – please indicate if they are excerpts)
• Maximum of 8 links to specific web pages for online projects
Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and ‘Artist Awards’ in the subject line.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: MIDNIGHT ON 8 MAY 2012
INTERVIEWS WILL TAKE PLACE ON 21 MAY 2012